Thursday 4 March 2010

The Big Smoke

On Tuesday I flew back to the UK to visit Harriet in London. It was also my first trip away from the Alps in all of my twelve winters. My mates Canon and tripod came along for the ride as well.


It seemed strange looking down on the green fields and white cliffs of the south coast from the plane. Since late November I've been dizzy with the sight of, and being in the presence of, the awesome high altitude mountain peaks and deep valleys of the French Alps. I wasn't quite prepared for the experience of landing in the middle of the capital city.


If anyone has landed at the tiny London City Airport, they will know what I'm talking about. The plane just suddenly drops from the sky skimming over the towering buildings of London. It feels as though the plane flies through tall buildings en route to the runway.


The very next morning I had some spare time with Canon to wander the streets and over the bridges of London. I can't deny that my super relaxed mountain mindset got in a pickle when exposed to the hustle and bustle of the city, some would call it 'shoulder barging'. Plus, coming from the mountainous landscape environment into the urban landscape took some adjusting to.


However, it was fun seeing the Millennium Bridge with St. Paul's Cathedral in the background. And walking through the bustling City district, gasping at the huge office blocks.


At one point I walked around a street corner completly lost with an 'A to Z' map book in my hand, when I realised that above me stood 'THE GHERKIN'. Damn, trust me to forget my compass !?!


One slight problem though, from when I landed on Tuesday my throat became sore, sniffles appeared and even poor Canon developed some malfunctions. Quite bizarre. However, it was amazing to be with Harriet again briefly. But of course time flew by way too quickly.


I was soon back on the plane again to return back to Geneva and then Méribel.


However, as I was driving back up the mountain this evening in the car, my 'man-flu' symptoms receded. And I'm sure I heard Canon burst into life unexpectantly as well. Is it something to do with the difference in altitude and quality of air?

Some exciting news that I'll post over the weekend regarding snowshoeing. I've just received an email from a friend in Chamonix, it's related to a post I wrote last December.

Martin

1 comment:

ChrisC said...

Great photos