Monday 4 January 2010

Silver-lined clouds

The weather last week was constantly challenging with most days cloudy and with flat light. This made it difficult to see the pistes and most importantly the nature of the gradient. Plus the freezing level bounced around a little which meant we had a mixture of rain, mucky sleet and then finally snow.


But when it did snow, we were all in for a real treat with perfect, light, fluffy, ego-massaging champagne textures. I immediately introduced Arthur, Tess and their brothers and sisters to this experience.


You should have heard their screams of joy and delight. They all had great fun, but I heard comments like 'I love this snow, but it's really difficult skiing'.


I did my best to give them technical assistance. For instance keeping their arms forward, staying balanced over their skis, and making smooth movements whilst turning. But deep down they were just happy to go and play in the fluffy stuff.

My job was to find areas where they could practise these techniques, and then experiment in a safe environment, without getting over excited.

Occasionally there was the odd slow motion pain-free tumble, immediately followed by un-controllable giggles, especially from me!?!

We even got to ski within the depths of the forest.


I was so pleased that they all had a great day, they deserved it after the challenging weather earlier in the week.


It was one of those days that they will all never forget. I'm sure that you have similar memories from your skiing holidays, it's what keeps you coming back every winter isn't it?

Martin

P.S. Thanks to Arthur's and Tess's parents for allowing me to take these photos and using them on this blog. I hope you all enjoy them as much as I do.

P.P.S. I'm really chuffed at how much both Arthur and Tess improved over the week, especially again because of the conditions that they had to deal with. Top effort.

No comments: