Wednesday 20 January 2010

Throwing flowers

Here's another French idiom I've come across recently, "Jeter des fleurs á quelqu'un". Which translates as "To throw flowers to somebody".
This means to speak highly of someone, or to sing the praises of them. Which is exactly what I'm going to do about Phil, Jenny, Martin, Katie, Malmer and Sam. From Portsmouth to Méribel on Saturday, they soon picked up their lift passes and hire equipment ready for the next day. This is where I came in, cleanly shaven, smiley face and highly motivated. After the introductions it was down to business, with me 'pretending' to ignore the nervous body language.

Step by step, turn by turn they all gradually acquired confidence and technical skills to be able to slide down the nursery slopes, and then green slopes. You should have seen their visible sense of achievement. Sam said today 'I don't believe it, I'm actually skiing down a green run and enjoying it!'. A fantastic effort team, well done. I can't wait for our final session tomorrow morning together. Cue, flower throwing.
Just before I started with Phil and the others, I too became a beginner again. Last Friday I was reading the brilliant autobiography of Austrian skiing legend Hermann Maier, on my balcony in the sun. Then I heard Mike Harrison, a friend and colleague of mine, shout up from the street below, 'Hey Martin, fancy going cross country skiing this afternoon?'.

'Err, sure, why not?' I replied. Although I've never been cross country skiing before, I thought that my snowshoeing, alpine skiing, telemarking and ski touring skills were bound to help me master cross country!?! Hmm, not quite, but I have to say it was a real laugh on this different flimsy kit.

To be out in the mountain wilderness, with nobody else around is always a treat, let alone having fun with friends.

Work is chugging along nicely at the moment in very fine conditions. It's due to snow a little more again this evening. Friday afternoon I'm booked off work to go skiing with Martin Jeffers. We plan to free ski and play with our Canon cameras, always great fun. Fingers crossed we will manage to take plenty of photos.

Martin

2 comments:

TheShar said...

Martin

It was a brilliant week, and I think we all ended up feeling like we had achieved more than expected.

They only downside was getting caught by you on a sneaky blue run on the last day :) I'd even shaved as way of a disguise!

To anyone who is reading this blog and considering using Martin for skiing tuition..book him..I can't tell you how much we all enjoyed the experience.

Malmer said...

I have to thank you again for last week. As TheShar said, we all exceeded our expectations on what we could do on our first week of skiing.

You gave us all the encouragement to go that bit further each day and overcome any problems we had.

I hope you had as much fun a we did and that the rest of your season is successful.