Tuesday 29 December 2009

The Noughties

It seems that everyone is looking back on the 'Noughties'. Harriet and I were in the bar the other evening doing the same thing, thinking about our last ten winters. Then it dawned on us, why shouldn't I write a little about my skiing experiences, since 2000, on my blog? Here goes.


With ten European winters in Méribel and two winters down in New Zealand, sooo much has happened this decade. To become fully qualified as a ski instructor at the highest level, one of the hardest exams to pass is the 'European Speed Test'. This is a giant slalom race that has to be completed within a set time. Very tough if you have never raced (like me) or even if you have (plenty of French candidates struggle with it too).


I needed many Autumns on European glaciers and two winters down in New Zealand just to train for this one exam. Most mornings meant heading up to the mountain in the dark just before sunrise, to be ready in position for our first training runs.

Awesome experiences, but really tough at the same time. Our training squad was often joined on the mountain by the Austrian and US world cup squads on their own summer camps. See the photo of a nervous Martin alongside the super-chilled Bode Miller.


Some of the time that I was training to get fully qualified in the early 'Noughties', I was also able to teach here in Méribel, as a "stagiere"or trainee. But occasionally silly fun would be had with friends. Like jumping off the roof of a mountain hut.



And getting the landing slightly wrong !?!



A few years ago I finally completed the gruelling process of becoming fully qualified as an internationally recognised ski instructor, plus even more importantly gaining 'Full French Equivalence'. A massive relief after such an effort. This then meant my ski teaching future in France was guaranteed, and I could throw myself into full time ski teaching.

Does this mean work replaces fun on skis? NO WAY. NOT A CHANCE. I really look forward to the start of each winter. To feeling the sub-zero temperatures when the early season snow cannons are switched on to create massive piles of man-made snow.


Each time a major snow storm invades the mountains, I can't help but stare out of my apartment window to see thousands of snowflakes falling, feeling excited. Then the next morning popping down to the boulangerie in fresh snow, regularly looking at my watch just to double check I won't be late for my first lesson and ski lifts.



During the 'Noughties' I've met hundreds and hundreds of eager beginners, intermediates and expert skiers. They've been motivated, nervous, shy, athletic, sometimes hungover, sometimes out-of-shape, cosmopolitan, even tearful (!), usually excited to be on skis. All ready to share some of their precious holiday time with me. Some days I have no idea who I'm going to meet and what will happen.


An awesome decade. So what on earth will follow the 'Noughties'? No idea, but I can't wait to continue having the best job in the world, and to continue meeting more of you all in what I believe is sheer paradise.

Martin

No comments: