Monday 14 December 2009

Continuous improvement

It's getting cold, very cold. Which is brilliant for snow making and for keeping the conditions in check. However there are times when you are reminded that popping over to Val Thorens, the highest ski resort in Europe, requires certain extra clothing considerations. Fortunately my first lesson of this winter included Paul, Rick and Caroline who are very experienced skiers and were prepared accordingly.


I've skied with them all over a number of years. Basically they are able to ski on anything that the massive 'Three Valleys' can put in front of them. Now that's saying something. So why do they book further lessons? I guess it's because deep down they each feel as though they are capable of an even better performance and experience. So we spoke about and broke down the different aspects of technical excellence, and fine-tuned these movements on the empty pistes.


What a buzz for me to see them respond so positively and dynamically. One of the last pistes that we skied on before a very tasty lunch at the Mont Valon restaurant, was Lac de la Chambre. Half way down the piste, we re-grouped and agreed to re-name it the 'Big Grin Piste'. Emotions were running high, but I didn't want to get carried away with it all, so I decided to hold back and look at their tracks left in the snow as they skied off to lunch. Track analysis is the same as 'the camera never lies'. Caroline was the last of the skiers, so it was easier for me to double check her carving lines. Check these out, perfect clean lines, with her outside turning ski track deep, clean, stable and grippy. Fantastic.


Caroline regularly writes articles for the excellent http://www.merinet.com/. It's well worth a visit for information, webcams and up-to-date snow condition reports just like this latest http://www.merinet.com/snow_report.php?id_snow_report=3663 .

Saturday afternoon I had my first lesson with Lynn. Before this weekend the last time she had skied was ten years ago. She skied with friends the previous day who were better skiers, and had also unfortunately had a nasty head-banging fall the morning before the lesson. When I was introduced to her at the start let's just say that confidence was not showing. However after a chat on the bubble lift up, and a lovely cruise down on a very gentle slope, we soon loosened up and went straight to work. We immediately simplified ski technique and started the practise phase. Goodness me, an instant improvement, quite evident by the more relaxed body language. Again it's such a buzz for me to observe these improvements, whatever the standard.


Oops, I've just quickly re-read this post and realised I've gone on a bit which has probably made it my longest yet. Maybe I'm getting carried away with the teaching again, oh well.

As mentioned earlier, it's pretty chilly out here right now. This meant that Canon and I have observed some impressive snow making and piste grooming today. I'll post some of these photos in a couple of days time.

Martin

No comments: