Tuesday 26 April 2011

What, Why and How

IMG_1755 v1

Last Wednesday I delivered my final lesson of the season. Many months ago a friend contacted me and booked a lesson during the final week that the lifts were open. I was flattered to receive this booking because Cat is a Fitness Professional.

IMG_1748 v1 

So what does a Fitness Professional do? In Cat’s instance she is a Pilates Instructor, a Personal Trainer, a motivator and an inspirational Spinning Coach. In other words Cat is a talented Instructor who knows how to teach, and she chose me to help improve her skiing performance. No pressure then?

IMG_1756 v1

Always up for a challenge, I thought we could both benefit using her teaching skills and background, and link them in with mine. Cat’s method of teaching uses the ‘What, Why and How’ sequence. So let’s look at how we could use this method with skiing. ‘What’ we were looking at was balancing on skis and using the sweet spot of the ski. ‘Why’ do we want to do this? A balanced skier can be more energy efficient; they can use the full length of the skis metal edge for grip; and they can steer (turn) the skis more easily. ‘How’ we were going to achieve this was by checking our position standing over the skis and ensuring we were flexing our ankles correctly. Did this teaching method work for me? I was happily surprised that it did, maybe I can try this in a few weeks time with my learner drivers back in Leamington Spa. Mind you, getting two Instructors talking to each other about technique almost led to overload and then meltdown.

IMG_1752 v1   

Fortunately my wife Harriet came along to help keep it real. We had a great time over in Val Thorens, and celebrated our last day on skis for the winter of 2011. Good luck Cat with your new goals that you’ve set yourself in the Fitness Industry.

For over a week now I’ve been under the weather with Laryngitis (or was it maybe even the dreaded Man Flu?). So no sport or walks for me for ages. However as promised in my previous post, I can let you now know how Canon and I got on with the ever-elusive mountain deer, Chevreuil, here in France. They are impossible to get close to, but during my first attempt I was chuffed to achieve even these photos from this bumbling wildlife photographer.

IMG_1545 v1 

Ok, so maybe I won’t be invited to enter the next Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition, but I had fun anyway.

IMG_1571 v1  

I searched out some Marmots as well, up around Lac de Tueda above Mottaret.

IMG_1635 v1

IMG_1677 v1

I’m hoping to head out again with my walking boots very soon, especially heading further into the impressive Vanoise National Park before heading back to the UK at the end of next week.

Enjoy all of the Bank Holidays everyone, especially the Royal Wedding.

Martin

1 comment:

Cat Booker said...

I can honestly say this was the best ski lesson of my life.

I was with Martin and his comments on his blog every step of the way.

The wonderful thing about Martin as instructor, no coach or role model? Well, Martin seems to have this natural and enthusiastic, but calm approach wo really getting into the way you learn and what will help the most right there and then.

As a trainer myself, in many disciplines of fitness, there is a constant, and that is the way you approach the basics, followed by the development of an individual and then taking the experience onto another level and leading them onto better training, rewards but most importantly of all the feeling of success.

I look to give success to my clients as and when they train over weeks, months and years. The job of a ski instructor who sees someone for such a short time is apparently very demanding and the instructor of an elite nature gives so very much.

Proud to be trained by one and I have noted the what, why and how, and will always. Work in progress.

Cat x