Sunday 4 November 2012

Owl fest

Martin Hemsley

I recently treated myself and Canon to a day of shooting Owls. It took place just a few days after my final wedding of the summer/autumn. Some regular readers may remember that I dibble and dabble a little bit shooting alpine wildlife at the end of each ski season before heading back to British shores.

Martin Hemsley

I’ve always had fun with this, but had wanted to raise my skill level much higher. I’m a firm believer that if people are coached and empowered enough then we can all succeed further. With that in mind, I sourced a workshop that really would do just that. Meet the one and only, multi award winning Wildlife Photographer, West Ham supporter, all round entertainer and Canon shooter Mr Andy Rouse.

Martin Hemsley

I’ve been following Andy Rouse now for many years, bought some of his books, followed his fantastic blog (see http://www.andyrouse.co.uk/?link=blog ), and attended one of his talks about five years ago. So to be able to meet him, talk to him and be coached by him was a fantastic experience.

Martin Hemsley

We all met up at the British Wildlife Centre in Surrey to attend his one day workshop, all about photographing Owls in portrait and flight. Tawny and Barn Owls were used for both portrait and flight shots, with Long and Short Eared Owls for portrait only.

Martin Hemsley

It was fascinating to hear Andy talk about his previous adventures, his latest projects and various technical and equipment related topics. It was also fun being in the company with like minded photographers. Andy’s style of teaching was very informative, relaxed and understanding and he kept the technical side of shooting away from being rocket science.

Martin Hemsley

The staff at the British Wildlife Centre were all helpful and passionate. For the record, all of these Owls that we photographed were captive birds. Plus none of them were harmed or stressed in any way. By the way,I wouldn’t want any of my muesli-eating, hairy-armpitted, folk dancing, tree- and animal-hugging readers to get all righteous and flustered.

Martin Hemsley

I had a great time and learnt loads, even though I officially suck at shooting Owls in flight. They fly so fast and quietly, it’s very difficult. Here are a few more images I took during that day.

Martin Hemsley

Martin Hemsley

Martin Hemsley

It’s funny to think that in two weeks time I’ll be back in Méribel for the start of another winter. I’ll post again soon, this time I might even talk about skiing. Plus, very soon I’ve got some very exciting news to announce. Live with passion everyone.

Martin

1 comment:

Mary Costelloe said...

OWLS! My favourite birds ... you lucky duck (!) getting so close to them. Mary C (Gooney Bird)