Friday 10 February 2012

Togging and Skiing

IMG_4778 

As mentioned on the previous post I attempted a new landscape project just as the Big Chill started. Regular readers will know that I love the high mountains with a passion, but as a Tog (photographer) I find it incredibly difficult to capture the beauty of the scene in front of me.

IMG_4769

Nevertheless I gave it another bash, at an unnamed location for fear of being rumbled by the security chaps, where I looked across the mind-blowing mountain ranges that included some infamous 3 Valleys peaks of Roc de Tougne, Mont de la Challe, Roc des Trois Marches, Pointe de la Masse and Cime de Caron amongst others. At first, the Big Chill didn’t affect me too much because of a flask of hot steaming coffee (with whisky) and a pair of hand-warming tea bag thingys!

IMG_4822

In awe, Canon and I watched the sun set behind the crete; the temperatures plummeted to minus stupid degrees as Canon’s batteries struggled to stay perky. But what a slideshow nature gave us that evening. I’ve gotta be honest with you, the ski home in the dark wasn’t exactly the most accurate or as fun as I’ve ever had, but flipping ‘eck what an experience. But there were two things that bugged me as a Landscape Togger later that evening. Firstly there was little cloud in the sky to add drama to the shoot, and secondly I fluffed up on a couple of technical settings in camera which could’ve been something to do with shivering actively !?!

IMG_4797

Don’t give up the day job I’ve heard people say in the past. Speaking of which, I had a brilliant two days teaching John and Gilly. We adjusted our goals and aspirations for the weekend mainly to fit around the stupidly chilly temperatures. We soon found some lovely bumps to practise on. We looked how to technically, tactically and psychologically approach one of the trickiest disciplines within the sport of skiing. It was great to watch both John and Gilly grow in confidence and experience the buzz. We also focused our efforts on fine tuning short turns.

IMG_5074

As a Méribel Private Ski Instructor (bet you didn’t spot the discreet attempt at improving Google ranking there) it’s very important to help people develop their all mountain performance. This is where short turns are very important and can hugely help skiers’ balance and skills in all areas of the mountain. This worked to such an extent that it enabled us to ski down the Lac du Lou off piste route over in Les Menuires, but also taking John down the infamous Méribel Couloir underneath the new Saulire Express lift.

IMG_5062

We packed in loads of skiing in two days during the bitter weather, and a couple of very fine lunches including La Soucoup in Courchevel. We even saw some amazing vistas through our frozen goggles, including this one from the top of the Méribel Couloir before dropping in.

IMG_5077

My workload has been a little quieter than normal this week. Having said that I’ve had some lovely sessions with Julia from the Ukraine who works in Tiffanys in London, and Sara who is an ex-ballet dancer but now a pro singer, and also Jane from Chester who works for the Environment Agency. One of the great things about being a private ski instructor in Méribel (oops there it is again) is the variety of people I get to meet and ski with, week in week out. Plus of course being able to work in such a stunning office. The cold eventually forced my photography away from the top of the bitter mountain to lower down this week.

IMG_4866

A location I’ve tried many times before has been just below the Altiport area. Post sunset often gives lovely pastel colours. But something was lacking, bold hearty oranges, reds and salmons that can be experienced on the horizon.

IMG_4858

It was no good, I had to brave the elements again, so the next evening I returned to the same unnamed location high up on top of the Alps with another flask of you know what. It was cold, but this time I had some awesome clouds. More on that another time, including how a piste basher had words with me on the ski down !?!

So what else is on the menu? Firstly I’ll be joining up with the Joneses again for half-term week, always an enjoyable and hectic time. Secondly it looks as though I’ll be able to make a huge announcement to you all…… Have a great weekend everyone, and live with passion.

Martin            

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Martin, what huge announcement?? We want to know now!