Saturday 4 December 2010

What were we supposed to do?


On the first lift up this morning, the opening day, I had a slight emotional issue. Now the Ski Instructing text book clearly states that the first run on the first day should be taken easy. In other words, allow yourself time to ease back into skiing, find your balance, build your confidence without any pressure - nothing silly, in other words. But sitting next to me on the chairlift was Ed (in blue), who is also a Ski Instructor. We were looking down on amazing scenes: deep, fresh, light powder, and then back at each other smiling. He knew what I was thinking, I knew what he was thinking.


Also on the chairlift with us was Caroline (of http://www.merinet.com/ fame), and three other friends. What were we supposed to do? "Stuff the text book" Ed and I said to each other laughing. We spoke to the others and everyone made up their own mind.


Caroline thrives in this deep stuff, and Simon (wearing the black jacket) gradually built his confidence. The lifts and pistes were lovely and quiet, which made the day even better.


I've got a busy week coming up, I'll be heading over to Tignes a couple more times this week. This may lead to a very exciting development in January, more news on that hopefully later. Plus I'll be starting my own teaching work, during the week. Also, my French lessons will start again. This time I'd better take more notice of text books.


What a brilliant way to start my thirteenth winter season here in Méribel.

Martin

P.S. Nice skiing Simon, I hope you don't have any friends who would feel envious of your day !?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never did like Simon!