Wednesday 1 December 2010

A Big Little Victory


Apparently moving house is up there in the list of the most stressful things in life. I get to move house twice a year, and it can certainly throw up its challenges. However I don't expect to receive any sympathy from anyone, so I won't even begin to start moaning about what's happened the last week or so. So any 'little victory' is even more appreciated during these times. Monday I gratefully received such a victory.


The weather was stunning, rare amongst all the recent snowfalls. I decided that I wanted to make the most of the gorgeous lighting and aim for a sunset session with Canon, high up in the mountains. Problem is, the lifts don't open until Saturday. Not to be put off, I attached 'skins' to the bottom of my touring skis, and loaded up my back pack.


Sherpas are thin on the ground at the moment in Méribel, so everything had to be shoved in. Numerous bits of camera kit, food and water, extra warm clothing, a head torch and my tripod. The bag weighed a ton, but I thought it would be good for fitness.


My target was the ridge bordering Méribel and St.Martin, where the Tougnete 2 and the St.Martin 2 chairlifts meet, also the location of the Panoramic webcam seen on http://www.merinet.com/ . It took two hours of frantic puffing to get up there, but boy oh boy did Mother Nature put on an amazing slide show of colours for me.



Photography and skiing aside, to stand on a peak at dusk looking at the world stretched out beneath you is one of those experiences to connect you to the very roots of your soul. Getting to where you need to be for that epic vista can be somewhat tricky without the lifts running, but what a reward. I love the juxtaposition here of a snow cannon looking down on one of Europe's highest peaks, Mont Blanc.



After the slide show of colours, it was time to re-fuel and then disappear pretty sharpish because it was very cold, with daylight now all but gone. So on with the head torch and off I skied into the darkness for my first ski of the season. Not the prettiest of skiing, but who cared.


Some sights stay with you forever - this is one.


Martin

P.S. Yesterday I met up with ski instructor friends Tim and Bryan over in Tignes and Val d'Isere. The snow conditions were brilliant all the way down to resort. We all had a great day. The lifts here in Méribel open on Saturday: it's currently snowing again, so Saturday should be 'off the charts' !?! Fancy coming out for a cheeky weekend before Christmas, you know you want to?

No comments: