Friday 26 February 2010

"Oh be Jesus"


This winter continues to provide us with regular snowfalls but also sunny conditions. It seems that every three or four days yet another weather front happily gives Méribel a top up of fresh snow. Temperatures are bouncing up and down recently, but the pistes continue to stay in great condition.
A couple of months ago I received an email from Mary in Dublin, Ireland. Since then I've been looking forward to this week. I taught this same Dublin team during their two skiing holidays here last winter. Let me introduce them to you pictured above, from left to right, Rohiyah, Mary and Fiona.


Don't they look all sweet and innocent? As usual at the start of anyone's holiday, I asked them what their individual goals were. Rohiyah replied "I just want to learn how to stop away from the snowplough position". Fiona said "I want to avoid falling over too much, especially ending up in one of those blood wagon things".


And finally Mary answered, in her strong Irish accent, "Martin, it seems that people label me with having skiing Tourette's, I know I get frightened and all, but I want to cut down on my swearing when getting scared on skis". Both Rohiyah and Fiona chuckled when they heard this, saying out aloud "Oh be Jesus".


So over the course of the next six mornings my focus was to somehow help them all meet their individual goals on various green pistes. I would like to think that not too many people on the mountain were offended by Rohiyah's shrieks of delight, and also Mary's loud Irish swearing when she (rarely) lost her confidence and control.


I also enjoyed meeting other clients this week, little Oscar from Kent, four Russians from St.Petersburgh, another three Russians from Moscow and then Yoke from The Netherlands.


Yoke, pronounced 'Joke', yes honestly.... I can't deny that at first I found it difficult being serious talking to someone called Joke. Anyway, what a lovely and quite fascinating lady. After recently celebrating her fiftieth birthday she has decided to have a career change. She is currently studying to become a respected helper and social co-ordinator within the Dutch local care community with the homeless, drink and drug affected population. How's that for an enlightening conversation on a Méribel chairlift? During our four lessons together we looked at keeping our skiing technical thoughts simple. My usual 'squashing spider' technique was mentioned, but also carrying Champagne glasses. Proost (cheers) Yoke.


Next week I'm looking forward to meeting up with Karin in Courchevel who I skied with last winter, and Marion who I last skied with back in 2007. But also early next week I'm deserting the Alps for the first time in my twelve winters. I'm flying back to London to see Harriet, for a well deserved couple of days rest before heading straight back again at the end of the week. I'll post again at the end of next week.

Martin

P.S. The Dublin team have kindly invited me to lunch with them tomorrow after the morning lesson. It's my birthday, so I hope they respect my no swearing policy whilst eating. It will be like sharing the dinner table with the cast of the hit Irish tv comedy series 'Father Ted'. Feck, I can't wait !?!

No comments: