Wednesday 13 May 2009

Searching for Marmottes

In between dodging daily rain showers and decorating duties this week I've been searching for one of my favourite high mountain creatures, marmottes.


They are lovely little furry animals who hibernate over the winter, often underneath chairlifts, and pop out of their burrows from late April onwards. Some of them tolerate humans from a distance, others certainly don't. So to be able to observe them from a distance has been an amazing treat this week.
Sometimes they crawl along their bellies like commandos, for some reason. But this chap got bored and let out an almighty yawn, even though it looks like a war cry. Check out the teeth and claws.


The area that I've been looking for them has been in the majestic Vanoise National Park. Méribel is right on the edge of this stunning area and includes towering peaks, calm lakes, untouched and strictly protected flower and fauna. A truly spiritual place to experience.

Ian and I are closely keeping an eye on the weather for our last ski, but I'm now quickly running out of time. I'm leaving Méribel at the end of next week, so I'm not sure if our planned trip will be possible. As always, I'll keep you posted.


Martin

PS, Have you ever played a competition called 'Spot the ant in the flower' before? Me neither, so heads down, concentrate, and best of luck to you all. The first prize is a Tartiflette next winter courtesy of me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Martin
Fantastic photos as usual and yes, I can see the ant! Looking forward to the tartiflette next winter.
Helen

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin, you're certainly getting some pretty good results with your camera.

I've also found the ant: do you think a tartiflette would survive a postal delivery to Berlin? (I'm always open to new culinary experiences)

Enjoy your last week in the mountains.

All the best,
David