Saturday 21 February 2009

Saulire torchlight descent

During February the ski school puts on an event each week which demonstrates the skills of ski and snowboard instructors, the resort's history and a small firework display. Last Wednesday this show went ahead with an added twist: a torchlight descent from the top of the Saulire peak, to help celebrate Méribel's application to be the host for the World Cup Finals in 2013.

The list of names went up on the notice board down at the school the day before, where there was the usual scrum to see who had been 'selected' to take part. Yep, halfway down was written HEMSLEY Martin. Initial reaction was blast, or words to that effect. There are times when at the end of the working day there is nothing better than taking the boots off and going home for a cup of tea. But a torchlight descent delays that precious moment by three hours.

But, what an experience. It had been a gorgeous day, which turned into an even more stunning evening. Down in the depths of Méribel valley we never really see a sunset; the high peaks and ridges block out the colours. So when the 'condemned' eighty or so instructors jumped on the bubble to the summit, we were treated to a stonking sunset. I had an explosion of emotions, but thankfully had my camera with me, which meant I could use various techy tricks to get some grab shots, but deep down I was gutted that I didn't have my tripod to take some high quality sunset landscapy images.

Anyway, there we were standing at the top of Saulire at an altitude of 2,700 metres at 18.30 hrs, at minus daft degrees centigrade, with all the snow cannons working and piste bashers rumbling past and even a helicopter hovering overhead (!?!) watching the sun go down. Then suddenly all hell let loose, a rush for our torches, and off we went in a random snake on a long bumpy minefield back down to resort.

Chris and Helen asked me the next morning 'So what pistes did you ski down?'. Not a clue, no idea, I got totally disorientated by the darkness until we reached the Rond Point. I really enjoyed the evening. I'm now scheming about how I could evade the authorities one evening soon and stay up the mountain after the lifts close to take more photos, this time with my tripod. By the way, I still enjoyed taking my boots off at the end of the day, and especially enjoyed my 'drink' even more when I got back home. Enjoy your sunsets where ever you are.
Martin

1 comment:

Cecilia et Bernard said...

Wow. Looks incredibly spectactular.