Wednesday 25 February 2009

Annecy road trip

After a visit to the local doctor this weekend, I was ordered to take some time out of ski boots. I've hardly had any days off in the last few weeks so I wanted to make the most of this time. I grabbed all my camera kit including various lenses, filters and tripod, and jumped in the trusty car and drove out to Annecy.



Now if any of you have ever flown into Geneva, and then had a transfer to Méribel, you will remember this stunning town and lake en route.
Annecy has a typical alpine lake surrounded by mountains, with the town itself having stacks of history and architecture.

I prefer to drive around the eastern side of the lake via Talloires. It's a shorter distance, a little fiddlier but definitely prettier. For most of the day the weather was a little murky, hence the arty conversion into black and white with a couple of the shots.

I always enjoy walking around the town, people watching and listening to buskers. For years I've wanted to head up to the old castle to have a nose around. It has been converted into a museum about the history of the town and the local environment, well worth a visit.






On the way home I stopped at Talloires and was determined to get a sunset shot, close to the church with the lake and mountains in the background. But the colours didn't develop. However, just as I was about to give up in a sulk, I noticed a peculiar development. Shadows of gravestones were forming against the church itself, spooky. What do you think, does it work?


I'm now back on skis again, fighting fit. I've had a couple of sessions with the mad Irish couple from Dublin, Mike and Grace. Plus all day today I've been with a family from Paris, where we had great discussions about the difference between French and English food, films, the royal family and someone called Sarkozy.

Sorry this post wasn't that much about skiing. However it didn't do me any harm to have a slight change of environment, plus appreciate even more the beauty of the French Alps.


Martin

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear we may have contributed to wearing you out but very glad to hear you are back and fighting fit; while you can't blame the Tartiflette, the wine and songs could not have helped! The photos are stunning; one day I hope to develop such an eye as well as the technique to take pictures of this quality. Look after yourself.

Mike said...

Thanks for the photographic tour down memory lane!

Mike n' Julie