Sunday 20 January 2013

Facing Fear

Martin Hemsley

Apologies for being quiet on this blog recently, the main reason being I haven’t had a huge amount of time skiing since the last post two weeks ago. One of my biggest fears of being a self employed ski instructor is injury or illness. No work means no pay. Over the years I’ve been very lucky with injuries except for a bad back and a pulled calf muscle; other than that, all has been good. Amazing really, for a man of my age!?! However two weeks ago I left the Motherland of Méribel, to go for a week’s work back in Val d’Isere. The first couple of days were great fun with wonderful clients and fantastic snow. But I soon developed a tight chest which turned into a bit of a cough. Without going into a selfish list of ailments and things that went wrong, let’s just say I had to stop teaching pronto, and visit a doctor in Val d’Isere.

Martin Hemsley

It took about three days before I could muster up enough strength to return to Méribel. But then as soon as I did, it all went horribly wrong again. Another visit to another doctor, with a prognosis of flu plus a lung infection this time. There has been loads of it around, both here in the Alps and the UK from what I can tell. However it took a hefty dosage of antibiotics and steroids to get this fella back on track. I’ve been tentatively skiing again recently, and to say I’m appreciating the job and the mountains even more now would be an understatement. A huge thanks to those instructors who covered for me, and especially a big thank you to those clients who were so understanding.

Don’t forget, you can stay up to date on another blog over on www.mh2ski.co.uk , you can also follow us on facebook and twitter as well if you like. Stay healthy.

Martin

p.s. Sorry for the shortage of photos, I hardly took any during my first two days in Val d’Isere. Normal service will resume shortly.  

1 comment:

Phil Adams said...

Glad to hear you are on the mend Martin and yes, I did experience, though not at first hand and managed to dodge all the bugs, in Val D'Isere when I was there between 6th and 13th January.

Phil Smith was equally zapped, so much so, after getting to the Grande Motte one morning, had to go back home, due to illness.

So many people have been hit by these various bugs and they really do sap your strength. I had this last season and spent 2 days in bed (and in a ski resort!).

Hope all is back on an even keel now and you are enjoying the fresh snowfalls. Phil