Sunday 16 December 2012

Snowed Under

Martin Hemsley

If you are a winter sports fan and have been following the start of this winter then I hope you are all very excited, because we have had a fantastic start to the season with excellent snow conditions. I heard last week that Bourg Saint Maurice; a town in the valley below Val d’Isere and Tignes, has had the most snowfall in December this year than at any point in the last fifty years. Moutiers is Méribel’s equivalent of Bourg, and it’s buried under snow as well. This is great for us skiers, but a pain in the neck for normal life.

Martin Hemsley

The last two weeks I’ve been teaching over in Tignes in the great L’Espace Killy area. I drove over there, and parked outside the chalet I was staying in, thinking nothing could possibly go wrong with being parked there. How stupid. The above photo shows how much snow fell in just one 36 hour period. It took me and a few others quite a while to dig it out before parking in an underground garage.

Martin Hemsley

The snow conditions improved after each weather front swept through. Whilst we were in the middle of some of the storms it was a pretty tough existence. Strong winds accompanied the snowfalls, and some days we only had two or three chairlifts that were able stay open, it became a war of attrition.

Martin Hemsley

This also meant that the avalanche risk stayed sky high for a while. However once the weather calmed down we were treated to some magnificent skiing, both on and off piste. I was working for Inspire to Ski again, see www.inspiretoski.com. During the two weeks I had a mixture of ‘All Mountain Performance’ groups, a private booking and an ‘Off-Piste Performance’ group.

Martin Hemsley

I was working with other British instructors and really enjoyed working together as a team. Each morning, lunchtime and evening we discussed each other’s plans and collectively decided on the best areas to ski depending on the ski lift status.

Martin Hemsley

When skiing off-piste the snow was so deep we sometimes couldn’t move. The normal solution to this is to find steeper slopes where gravity helps pull the skier through the deep powder. But because of the high avalanche risk our choices using steep slopes were limited.

Martin Hemsley

It was a delicate balance of finding safe but also fun slopes to ski on. However later in the second week more terrain became available to us, especially over in Val d’Isere, and we made the most of it. One member of the group decided on checking out the local wildlife buried down in the snow, or so I was told!

Martin Hemsley

It was a fantastic start to my teaching this winter, and I can’t wait to continue this week. It would take me ages to list all the names I skied with over the last two weeks, so I’ll just do a collective ‘thank you’ to you all.

Martin Hemsley

I’m safely back in Méribel this weekend, and start work again tomorrow with eight straight days of work before Christmas Day. If you are coming out skiing over the holiday period I hope you have a fantastic trip. I can guarantee you one thing, you won’t be short of snow. Especially because we’ve got even more forecast over the next three days. Live with passion.

Martin

Martin Hemsley

No comments: