Thursday 12 April 2012

Change of focus!

IMG_4956

Last night I popped out for an hour or so, with Canon again and his friends. Why did I do this? Firstly I’d been cooped up in my apartment all day decorating and was struggling with ‘cabin fever’,  but also the smell of fresh paint was seeping into, well you don’t need to know where it was seeping !?! Plus, to be honest, I sensed that we were in for a possible belter of a sunset. Later whilst stood by tripod, Canon and all (oh and a hip flask), I realised that I hadn’t had a decent sunset photographic session for two months.

IMG_4984

‘How on earth did that happen?’ I pondered taking another swig of very fine Bowmore whisky from my hip flask looking down the vast valley, whilst exposing away with Canon. Simple really, it’s called work. This isn’t a whinge and a moan, because I love my job with a passion. However, often every single ounce of energy, every minute of sleep (including late afternoon power naps) and every slice of pizza is needed to help me share this passion with those I ski with. This week I didn’t have any of my own work, likewise the school is much quieter as well, which meant it was a perfect chance for rest and recovery. Some of my (alpha male) colleagues would possibly moan about the lack of work. But to be honest, because I’ve been skiing almost solidly since the end of November, I’m quite happy to slow down briefly.

I’ve relaxed for several days now, caught up on emails, phoned home a few times, done some decorating, even had a sunset shoot with Canon. But it’s snowed this week. In fact it’s snowed a fair bit. Surely I should be heading up the mountain one last time?

IMG_5721

These two photos (above and below) have been taken from my apartment again, showing the beauty of the mountains in winter. Why haven’t I skied the last couple of days? I’ve got one more week of work starting at the weekend back over in Val d’Isere, and I need to be on top form. I understand that my clients are at a high level, red and black piste skiers who want to venture further afield off piste. That means it’s going to be pretty physical, hence I need my rest now. But I keep looking outside at this fresh snow, it doesn’t feel natural to not ski in these conditions, knowing that 20 cm in resort means a huge amount more higher on the mountain.

IMG_5725

I’ll be catching up and working again with one of my best mates, Slippers Jackson from Morzine, on Saturday. Can’t wait.  Looks like it’s going to be an epic week. Get the feeling I don’t want this winter to finish?

Martin  

No comments: