Thursday 8 March 2012

Cannonball

IMG_5290

Last week I was back to my usual private ski lessons here in Méribel, with a splendid mix of people. I skied with Guy (pictured above) and Kelly, both from London and owning separate hair dressing businesses. They had skied several times before, but had never really taken the opportunity of receiving individual tuition. But something recently had disturbed them so much so that they decided to book ‘yours truly’. After meeting them at the start of their first lesson, and with further investigation, it soon became apparent what was needed to help them achieve their goals. They were both able to make their way around the mountain, but had no idea what they should be doing on skis and how to go about improving their performance.

IMG_5301 

Off to work we went; explaining the importance of being balanced on their skis, finding and staying on the sweet spot of the ski, and ensuring effective and energy efficient steering (i.e. turning). It was amazing to hear their feedback on what they were feeling, and incredibly satisfying to hear them say that they didn’t realise how simple and straightforward skiing could be. The other thing I loved about my time with Guy and Kelly, they were both such good company. The number of subjects we spoke about, and laughs we shared, was never-ending. We also found a new nickname for Guy, Cannonball. Can’t think why?

IMG_5294 

I also had the pleasure of skiing with Cassie for five mornings. Cassie’s partner has been skiing for thirty plus years, and Cassie had skied for….. approximately a couple of hours at an indoor snow slope the day before flying out to Méribel. So effectively, a complete novice.

IMG_5265 

Now the thing is, some of us completely forget about the emotions that people go through when they first arrive in the high mountains. Cassie and Richard arrived in the dark of night, the evening before I met them. So when Cassie and I went up on her first bubble ride, you should’ve heard her gasp at the beauty of the mountains in front of her! We started patiently on the nursery piste, building skills and confidence. Richard kept checking on our progress, hoping against hope that Cassie would fall in love with the sport of skiing as much as he had. We gradually progressed onto a green piste. But all the time she kept saying with emotion ‘Wow, look at that!’

IMG_5270 

This could either mean looking at the view in front of us, or the ability of someone skiing past us. It didn’t matter, she was just blown away by the whole experience. ‘Hey Cassie, do you think you are hooked yet by the sport of skiing?’

IMG_5284 

I’ll take that smile as a ‘YES’ then. Now don’t get me wrong, every morning on the way down to Chaudanne to collect my skis and boots I think how lucky I am to work in such an amazing office. Every day I get to glance across to the other side of the mountain and think ‘Wow, that’s not a bad view today’. But to hear someone else think and say the same thoughts, with such passion, is quite sobering.

My workload has continued at a crazy pace since meeting Guy, Kelly and Cassie last week. I’ve got loads to report on, and am running out of time. Last weekend I had a three day corporate booking, which was a fascinating eye opener. And since Monday I’ve been skiing with John and Gilly. But then this Sunday coming, I fly back to the UK for a short break to catch up with my wife and her family, can’t wait. But before I disappear again from cyberspace for a while, let me leave you with another beginner skier that I’ve enjoyed the company of, amongst others……… will report again soon. Live with passion.

IMG_5352

Martin

No comments: