Thursday 26 January 2012

Yesteryear, but yet today!

IMG_4999 

Many years ago as a holiday maker, before I dreamt about becoming a ski instructor, I was lucky enough to travel the world following my passion as a skier. I loved so many things that all alpine countries offer. But ultimately I began to choose my favourite ski resorts, and continued to re-visit them as often as I could.

IMG_4955 

I bet you can’t guess which ski resort featured highly in my list? Yep, Méribel of course. However a noisy neighbour, Val d’Isere, was a close second on my list, only one and a half hours away on snow-free roads, not that we’ve had much of that this winter. It was almost a flip of a coin that decided on where I ‘ended up’ living and working each winter. Méribel won the toss, and certainly no regrets, so Val d’Isere was soon forgotten about. But was it? Everyone goes through the 'grass is always greener' thing, yours truly isn’t any different. So when the chance came along recently to work over in Val, I jumped at it with ridiculous energy.

IMG_4983 

Val d’Isere was where I launched myself as a holiday maker into having focussed private lessons twenty years ago, along with dabbling in the then new off-piste environment. A group of high mountain guides called Alpine Experience looked after me, notably a lovely chap called Wayne Watson. This background massively helped my start into becoming a ski instructor. Fast forward twenty years….Each morning last week my colleagues Slippers Jackson, Bryan and Dave would meet for a hearty coffee before starting work in a cafe called La Gourmandine. More on that later.

IMG_4958 

One of my groups was a very strong standard of skiers concentrating on ‘All Mountain Performance’ at a high level of red/black pistes and beyond. So with the conditions that we have had this winter, steep black bumpy pistes and off-piste was the main focus. My memory bank of the terrain still existed from many years ago, plus feedback from fellow professionals. Also more on that later.

IMG_4968 

It was a dream come true, many years ago I was being guided around by respected instructors and high mountains guides. Only this time, after years of training and numerous strict exams, it was my turn to show the sheer and utter beauty that the finest of the French Alps could offer. For some of the week we were very lucky to experience amazing skiing conditions in low avalanche conditions.

IMG_4978 

Some of the Val d’Isere off-piste classics were covered: the Vallon de Cugnai, the Tour du Charvet, the Vallon Perdu and the legendry Mattis trees. I won’t even list the epic pistes covered by Nick, Nicki, Sally, Chris, Mark and Mairead. It was an incredible week where I was able to share my love of off-piste to those who hadn’t previously dared give it a go, and what a buzz to see their enjoyment.

IMG_4990 

I know I’ve been guilty with banging on in the past about having the best job in the world. But to be able to go full circle as a client many years ago, to then being able to show, and share, the love with like-minded people is something else. Please don’t think that I’ve suddenly become an off-piste junky. I also had a brilliant group of blue and red piste skiers, I’ll never forget the same emotions experienced with Janet, Sue, Lee and Carole.

IMG_4961 

Since leaving Val d’Isere, from one extreme to the other, I’ve been with the green piste skiing Dublin ‘Gooney Birds’ in Méribel who have featured on this blog a few times before. Once I’ve recovered from their visit, I’ll report back…..

Martin

P.S. I’m one of many instructors who love a strong French coffee in the morning. Each morning last week in Val d’Isere, I’d meet with Slippers and the others for our early morning chat. Every day I’d spot Wayne Watson in La Gourmadine for coffee, but chickened out of talking to him, stupid really because he is such a legend. Wayne has had such an influence on me in the past. However one of his colleagues at Alpine Experience that we spoke to most mornings about snow and safety conditions was Henry of ‘Henry’s Avalanche Talks’ who you may have heard of on the local radio here in Méribel. He was a lovely relaxed chap readily happy to share knowledge. What a week!.

P.P.S. Don’t get me wrong, I loved Val d’Isere last week, awesome skiing conditions and experiences. But boy oh boy the weather conditions we had on our last day was some of the most brutal, nastiest and evil I’ve ever had the pleasure of !?! However myself, Chris, Mark, Mairead and Sally still managed to get a positive day. The shelter of La Daille forest just kept us sane, before the authorities closed the mountain. No photos I’m afraid, frostbite would’ve taken hold….

No comments: