Wednesday 21 April 2010

Operation Stalk


Over the last few days I've muddied my walking boots every day. Why? Because I'm on holiday and I love to continue enjoying the fabulous French Alps and all that it has to offer.


The lower half of the Méribel valley has snow melting as fast as hair disappears from my forehead, it's that fast!?! This time of year Canon and I pretend to be wildlife photographers, with a mixture of success. Late evening and early morning excursions can sometimes result in mountain deer sightings. It often involves me crawling around on my belly 'commando' style, trying to avoid squashing noisy twigs, leaves and anything else that gives away my stealth like position.


Deer have amazing power of sight and smell. I'm no real match for these finely evolved creatures. If there's more than one of them together then I'm normally stuffed, no chance, forget it. I will have about two seconds to take a photo before they shoot off and away at lightning speed.


This morning I had the bright idea of getting up at 6am to launch into my next 'Operation Deer Stalk', after last Sundays success which produced these deer photos. Through sleepy eyes I could see that the sky was clear of clouds after crawling out of bed, game on. The coffee pot was switched on hastily, and then muesli poured all over the floor instead of in my cereal bowl. Not a great start. Anyway, how did it go during todays Operation? Well, there were plenty of fresh deer tracks, and heaps of fresh poo everywhere. But, nothing, not a jot, didn't see a thing. Hemsley/Canon 'nil', Deer 'one' yet again. Today just wasn't the day to build on my current portfolio. However, a beautiful morning was had drinking strong coffee from my flask looking across at the distant peaks, without deer for company. But what a great way to start the day.


But I did have some luck the other day though, in spotting a fox from a distance. We were both next to a very noisy stream, swollen from snow melt, which meant that he couldn't hear my approach.


Come on Foxy, look this way please towards Canon.


No not that way, this way, damn!?! And off he sped as I was cursing his lack of cooperation. Hemsley/Canon 'nil', Foxy 'one'. Oh well, another great experience was enjoyed yet again.

I recently went ski touring up and down the amazing Gebroulaz glacier. I'm still buzzing from the epic trip. An awesome sunny day, with recent fresh snow, solitude, incredible views, where Canon and I had much more luck with taking better photos. I'll post about it in a few days time. Aren't holidays the best, especially in Méribel?

Martin

P.S. Is it me, or do mountains often smile at us?

No comments: