Wednesday 1 April 2009

Chasing Chemmy

There is a buzz around the resort at the moment, what with the spring weather, the Altitude Festival and of course the British Ski Racing Championships.

The other day we experienced the staggering effect of a thick sea of cloud splitting the mountain in half. The first photo is of Arthur at the top of Saulire, with the sea of cloud below him. Speaking of Arthur, my goodness is he improving this week, what with skiing down steep reds and carving on greens and blues. Most days his parents meet up with us which enables Arthur to show off his skills. It's great for me to be able to see how proud they are of him.


This second photo was taken on the same day, when in fact Arthur's parents were riding up in the Courchevel cable car, with Mont Blanc poking through in the background. The piste conditions are now typical of spring, firm in the mornings but softening late morning. There's still plenty of snow around with no notable piste closures.

The British Champs started on Monday, I've been watching some of the races and I can't deny that I've been keeping my eye out for the top stars. Yesterday evening Graham Bell jogged past me in the street, wow he has muscular legs!?! I was able to see some of the Men's downhill yesterday with Ed Drake ( last year's winner ) almost badly injure himself near the end of the course. Finlay Mickel, pictured, had a great run down. I've also been looking out for Chemmy Alcott as well, more of that later.

After taking delivery of a new filter system for my camera last week, I went up to the Blanchot with all of my other kit and took this picture. I really enjoyed being out in this amazing area capturing the event. I'm looking forward to catching up with the Joneses again next week for their final ski of the winter.




So, Chemmy.... I've seen her several times from a distance and really wanted to talk to her and maybe even have a photo with her. But I came over all shy each time. The zoom lense was fitted instead, and I took this shot for all of my readers to see. I'll write again next week.

Martin

PS. Thanks to Arthur's parents allowing me to take and use his photo.

1 comment:

The lardster said...

Ask Robbie to introduce you - 14 year olds have no shame and she did sign his helmet last year!